Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Covergirl Lip Lava Review


Sorry guys, I'm a little late to jump on the Covergirl Lip Lava bandwagon but hopefully these swatches will still help ease your shopping! I saw those bright colors mixed with intense sparkle and had to grab all 9 of them (let's be real, I would have bought them anyway just because they're new and exciting). As you can see, they get more pigmented the darker they get. My two favorites are "Lava-nder" and "Look it's Lava" (funny enough, the two photos I saw swatched which encouraged me to buy them!). These two performed better than the other more pigmented shades, while the majority of them apply slightly streaky and move around when you talk or touch your lips together. The lighter colors apply like a dream, though! They don't do wonders by themselves, but I could get down on some gold glitter overlay on top of my lipstick (I'm looking at you "Lava Glow"). What you cannot see is the amount of sparkle packed in these babies, thanks to my camera. My biggest concern with a glittery gloss is if the glitter is going to irritate my lips, you know, sometimes thick or heavy amounts of glitter causes an icky gritty feeling in your lip gloss (I kind of get that with Milani's Fierce Foil lip gloss), these aren't that bad. It's definitely tolerable. The smell is kind of ingredient like- I would have liked to see it masked by something outrageously bold to match the colors, packaging, and all around theme of these, but we can't have everything, especially at such low prices! All in all, I'm definitely planning outfits around wearing my two favorite colors for the foreseeable future. What do you think of the Lip Lavas? Let's hear your thoughts!


Thank you @colorpunch on Instagram for sharing these swatches with us.

Score card:

Category
Rating
Comments
Packaging
5 
These have adorable packaging for a drugstore item. The tubes are square and clear and the lids are a metallic red. 
Scent
I don't reach for these for the scent. I would have loved a vanilla scent to mask the smell of ingredients. 
Application
 These do apply slightly patchy. I would recommend wearing them over a similar shade of lipstick.
Pigmentation
They do have more color payoff than a standard lip gloss. However, when I look at the color in the tubes, I expected a little bit more. 
Comfort
 These are pretty comfortable but the added glitter does leave a tiny bit of grittiness. It's not as bad as other glitter glosses we've tried!
Longevity
 Typical wear time for a gloss.
Dupability (Originality)
5
This concept is something different for a drugstore brand to try out and I love that about them. I'd love to see some extra glittery, bold glosses from more brands! 

Overall Score: 3.3

No comments:

Post a Comment