Thursday, September 10, 2015

NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick Review


So, we HAD to try the new NYX Liquid Suede Cream lipsticks to review for you guys. Afterall, we've been sharing these babies as dupes left and right, so we might as well tell you how they perform, too! My first impression was the scent. I was surprised that with a formula so similar to the Soft Matte Lip Creams that they didn't SMELL like the Soft Matte Lip Creams. They smell like a lot of the liquid to mattes on the market smell, slightly ingredient and paint like. However, these are not really a liquid to matte. They are a cream lipstick just as the name states. I think a lot of us were confused when these launched and assumed that they would dry to a transfer-proof, matte finish, because liquid to matte is ALL the rage right now. 

So, let me talk about the finish. Like I said, these are similar to the Soft Matte Lip Creams, but definitely not the same. They are a creamy product just like the SMLC's, but I actually find them to dry down to a creamy, semi-matte finish, and my Soft Matte Lip Cream's NEVER dry down. They continue to move around when I press my lips together. These don't. 

Now, I'm sure I just sound like I'm jumping all over the place here. Let me break it down a little further. These are not really a liquid to matte, they are a cream lipstick that dries to a semi-matte finish. Depending on how much product you use, they may not dry down at all. I do a thin layer which makes them have a nice, creamy, semi-matte finish. If I tap my fingers on my lips, the product won't come off, but if I wiped my finger across them, it definitely will. Anyway, they are a creamy liquid that slightly dries down to FEEL like you just applied a cream lipstick. Does that make sense?

I'd love to know your thoughts on these. Love them? Hate them? I personally think i'll be reaching for these pretty often because I find them super comfortable! They're a creamy liquid lipstick in a world of hard-to-remove matte liquid lipsticks.. And you know I'm all about comfort!

Score card:

Category
Rating
Comments
Packaging
4 
 The packaging is okay. I have to say I do love when tubes match the color inside. It makes it easy to know which color you're grabbing without squinting to find a tiny name printed on the bottom. I do think the packaging feels a little cheap, and it's topped with a black gem on the lid, which doesn't do much for the look of it. That's just my opinion!
Scent
 I don't reach for these for the scent. Like I said, it has a paint like scent. After application, you don't smell it. You only can detect it when the product is open and being used.
Application
4.5 
 The product itself applies really nicely. Although my swatches above are a little streaky, the product doesn't apply this streaky on the lips. I rate this category slightly lower because the wand is SO big. I wish the applicator was a bit shorter and easier to work with.
Pigmentation
 These are BAM in your face with pigment.
Comfort
 I love a comfy liquid lipstick, and these are just that. They don't dry down and adhere to your lips. They feel like a traditional lipstick.
Longevity
 4.5
 I think if you apply these light handed, they will last throughout the day. I think most people were a little too generous with the amount of product they used, which prevented them from drying down and made them easy to wipe off.
Dupability (Originality)
 Sooo, how unique are these? They're kind of right in the middle. Like I mentioned above, we have already shared a few of these colors as dupes for spendier brands, so they are definitely not one a kind. The formula is what makes these unique.

Overall Score: 4

2 comments:

  1. I just got Tea and Cookies and it is fabulous. I was a wee bit heavy handed so it dried down a little dry and crumbly on the inside edge but I think with a bit more practice with the giant applicator it will be perfection. The color is gorgeous. It was comfortable to wear. I am already considering picking up a couple more shades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got Tea and Cookies and it is fabulous. I was a wee bit heavy handed so it dried down a little dry and crumbly on the inside edge but I think with a bit more practice with the giant applicator it will be perfection. The color is gorgeous. It was comfortable to wear. I am already considering picking up a couple more shades.

    ReplyDelete